Volunteering in Bilbao (no sailing)
Become part of Atyla’s history
Join as a volunteer this period: Experience Atyla for free, contribute to improving the ship’s condition and support our social cause.
To say thanks, we give you 200€ of sailing credit per month. This credit is transferable, so you can give it away or even sell it if you want!
Also for people from Bilbao
What will you be doing?
During 5 days a week, normally from 9:00 to 17:00, you’ll be helping with the tasks on board. The main areas of work are the following:
- Carpentry and woodwork
- Works on the rigging
- Electricity and plumbing
Depending on your skills, your interests and the needs on board, you can focus on one or more of them.
On Saturdays, as part of our collaboration with Itsasmuseum Bilbao we do open doors and let visitors walk around the deck. You’ll take turns with the other volunteers to welcome the visitors and maintain safety.
This shouldn’t take a lot of time, and it’s a relaxed and pleasant task normally done in pairs or groups.
What do you get?
- A chance to experience the life on board a traditional wooden vessel.
- Accommodation in your own private bunk.
- Full board (3 meals a day).
- Meeting and socialising with a team of international volunteers.
- Learning or improving manual crafts and technical skills.
- A great experience to include in your CV.
- Certificate of your volunteering for Atyla Foundation (upon request).
- A floating home at the heart of Bilbao, perfect for exploring the sights, culture and food of this amazing city.
- 200€ of sailing credit per month (portions of a month also count: 1,4 months on board would give you 280€). The credit can be used to book any of our trips and can be given away of sold to other people.
During your volunteering, the ship will be your home. The mood on board is very friendly and relaxed, and you’ll probably make friends with the other people on board.
To try to ensure some comfort, the ship is fully equipped with facilities including heating, bathrooms with hot showers, full safety equipment and a large living room with couches and a 60-inch-TV.
In any case, this opportunity is not meant to be a vacation, and Atyla is certainly not a luxury yacht. Also, during maintenance time, some of these features might be temporarily unavailable if we need to repair or improve them.
Find reviews of previous volunteers on our Facebook page.
- Wanting to work and contribute.
- Being able to learn and become independent after getting guidance.
- Having at least 30 days* available to join. There is no maximum stay and we encourage you to stay on board for as long as you want.
No experience is necessary. But we gladly welcome people with applicable skills and experience.
* If you are very skilled, or you’ve been on board before, we might make an exception and lower this minimum.
- You’ll be expected to work 40 hours a week.
- You will go through an application process taking into consideration your skills, your motivation and the dates when you are available.
- A deposit of 200€ is required to secure your position and will be refunded at the end of your volunteering period.
- Be aware that the ship will (most probably) not sail during this time.
Ready to apply? Complete this form:
It will take you less than 10 minutes.
You can’t see the form properly? Click here.