Apply as permanent crew
These apply to all the positions:
- Experience and certificates: An STCW certificate is required in most cases, and previous experience as well. If you don’t have it we recommend that you join us as a participant.
- It’s not only about sailing the ship: It’s about guiding others and letting them do (even if it takes longer than doing them yourself). People come to Atyla to participate, so you’ll have to delegate.
- You don’t need to spend a long period embarked: Yes, having more time available increases your chances, but we don’t expect you to join for 6 months, 2-3 months is enough.
- Laidback doesn’t mean unprofessional: The good vibes on board is one of Atyla’s signature traits, but that never comes at the expense of safety, professionality or hard work.
- Communication is key: It’s impossible to do your job on Atyla without communicating and collaborating with everyone on board, so you better be good at that.
- Proposing challenges: We run a program based on challenges that help make adventure better for everyone. The tasks of the participants are framed into challenges that help them reflect and develop one or more life skills. You need to be part of proposing those challenges and participating in them.
- If you’re here for the money, you’re in the wrong place: Atyla is a charity without big donors behind. We’re trying to do something good for the world and accessible to people without money. That means that most of our crew are volunteers, and those who have a salary have a very small one.
Positions on board
You and the other watch leaders (3 or 4 in total) guide the participants in their adventure. You do sailing watches with a group of participants and one officer. You participate in the tasks required to keep the ship in good shape.
You need to have some experience sailing and as a leader/mentor. If you lack sailing experience, you can join us first as a participant. If you lack leadership experience you better be a great sailor so that you can learn the rest on board.
You need to have experience cooking and planning meals for big groups (we’re up to 24 on board). You need to be clean and tidy, and be sure that you don’t get seasick on ships.
You need to have experience with mentorship, training, coaching or some sort of group leadership role. You also need to be good at listening, at reading people’s emotional state, and at communicating efficiently and empathically.
You need to have experience with ship’s machinery, and preferably also with electricity and woodwork. You need to either have experience on sailing ships or be eager quickly learn about on board.
You need to have a good amount of sailing experience, preferably as an officer, and preferably on sailing ships. You need to be good at organising and planning.
You need to have a lot of experience, including sailing on Atyla. You need to be responsible and empathetic. You need to have a humble and inspiring leadership style that generates trust.
Ready to apply? Complete this form:
It will take you around 10 minutes.
You can’t see the form properly? Click here.